Cooling Your Home
Take control over your summer power usage
In response to this summer’s record-setting heat, Alectra Utilities is offering a number of conservation tips to help customers manage their electricity bills.
Electricity usage tends to increase over the summer months, especially for those customers who use air conditioning, dehumidifiers and pools to cool down. This summer’s extreme heat has seen many customers use significantly more power than usual, which has resulted in higher than normal electricity bills.
To help customers reduce their electricity usage, Alectra Utilities has the following conservation tips:
- If you have central air conditioning, use a programmable thermostat to adjust your home’s temperature so that it’s higher when you’re away and cooler when you’re home.
- Replace your furnace/air conditioner’s filter frequently – a dirty, clogged filter can increase your air conditioner’s energy consumption by as much as 15 per cent.
- Use ceiling and portable fans to increase air circulation – they cost pennies to operate and can provide comfort in spaces that are not air conditioned.
- Close curtains and blinds to shade windows during hot sunny days.
- On cool nights, open the windows and use bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans to help remove warm air from inside your home.
- Whenever possible, use the microwave, toaster oven or barbecue – a microwave uses about two-thirds less energy than your stove.
- Use solar outdoor lighting for landscaping, and convert incandescent light bulbs to LED light bulbs.
You can also track how much electricity you’re consuming on a daily basis by visiting MyAccount.
Mississauga residents can also stay cool by visiting attractions throughout the City, including spray pads, swimming pools, malls, libraries, and even local movie theatres.
For more ideas on beating the heat outside of your home, please visit www.mississauga.ca.