Hot Water Savings
Next to heating and cooling, your hot water heater is the largest energy-consumer in your home. Using an efficient heater — and less hot water — can have a big impact on your energy bill. See if these tips can help you cut down on hot water consumption and costs:
- Wash and rinse your laundry in cold water, and use a front-load washing machine — it uses almost 40%
- Take showers instead of baths, and install low-flow faucet aerators and showerheads — your shower will use one third the water of a bath.
- Run only full loads in washing machines and dishwashers.
- Fix leaky pipes or faucets — you could be pouring 11,350 litres (2,500 gallons) or more down the drain every year.
- Turn off the water while washing, shaving or brushing your teeth.