When the Lights Go Out
Alectra Utilities has one of the lowest rates of service interruption in Canada. Sometimes, however, unscheduled power outages happen, often because of extreme weather or unforeseen equipment failure. Here are some things you can do to prepare for a power outage.
Before an outage happens
- Make sure you know the location of your fuse box or circuit breaker and can reset the circuit or change a fuse.
- Identify the most insulated room in your house.
- Prepare an emergency kit that includes items like flashlights, new batteries, a battery-operated radio, candles, candlesticks, matches, a manual can opener, canned food, bottled water and blankets. Store the kit in a dry, easy-to-find place.
- Use a surge protector to protect electronic items like computers, TVs, DVD players and stereo equipment. This will prevent sudden surges of electricity from damaging these items.
- If you have an automatic garage door, be sure you can open it by hand.
During an outage
- Take your emergency kit and go to the most insulated room in your home.
- Leave one light switch in the on position so you’ll know when the electricity comes back on.
- Turn your thermostat down and turn off the power supply to your water heater. This will help prevent a sudden surge in electricity demand when the power is restored.
- If you’re using candles, keep them away from curtains or other flammable items. Never walk away and leave candles burning, and be sure to put them out once the power is restored.
If a power outage happens, call our Customer Service Centre at 905-273-7425. We will help you estimate the length of the outage and can provide updates on repairs.
Reporting a power outage
Live power outage information
You can get all the latest information regarding power outages in your area by clicking here.
Life support notification
If you or a loved one relies on electrically-powered medical equipment like a ventilator or kidney dialysis machine, please let us know. We will put your name on a special registry that tells us you need alternative sources of power if we are scheduling a power outage. To register and for more information, please click here.