Questions and Answers About Billing and Payment
I don’t understand my hydro bill — what do the different numbers mean?
What if my bill is higher than I think it should be?
Different seasons and different types of electrical equipment can cause electricity use to increase. For example:
- During hot summers when your air conditioner is used a lot, it can be as much as 50% of your total electricity bill. Also, if your air conditioner is older, it may be less efficient.
- If you run a food-related business, your industrial refrigeration equipment will use more energy.
- If you run an office or retail-based business, your lighting can eat up a large part of your energy bill.
Here are some other changes that could affect your bill:
- Did you buy any new or larger equipment or appliances recently?
- Did you renovate your business?
- Is your electrical equipment working properly? For example, fans or pumps that go on and off constantly use a lot of electricity.
You also should know that your electricity bill is affected by Ontario’s Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 13%.
I want to be able to pay bills online — how do I do that?
You can go online to your bank’s website, go to the Pay Bills page, and enter Enersource as a payee. You’ll need the first 10 digits of your account number to identify your account.
How can I pay bills automatically?
We offer two easy and convenient options for automatic bill payment:
1. Regular Billing You can have each bill amount withdrawn from your bank account when you receive the bill.
2. Equal Billing You can have 12 equal payments — one per month — withdrawn from your bank account. Enersource then settles the difference and, if needed, adjusts your payments for next year.
You can also pay using standard bi-monthly billing, where you mail your cheque in the return envelope or deliver it in person to and deposit it into our drop box at either office location:
2185 Derry Rd West. Mississauga, Ontario L5N 7A6
3240 Mavis Rd. Mississauga, Ontario L5C 3K1
Please note that if you are already enrolled in Pre-Authorized Payments, duplicate payments may be processed to your account if you re-register through the e-bill site.
Please contact Customer Service at 905-273-7425 for further information.
When can I start making online payments?
You will receive an email indicating you have an e-bill available to view. At that time you will be able to make a free online payment through your chequing or savings account.
What types of payments are accepted via e-bill?
Chequing and savings accounts.
Can I pay my e-bill with a credit card?
E-bill is not a credit card payment program. However, Enersource offers a credit card option through One Time Payments and a convenience fee will apply.
How do I make a payment?
Once you’ve received an email notification that an e-bill is available, click on the “View/Pay Bill” link. Follow the on-screen instructions to the left of the bill image. Please note that at least one bank account must be added to your profile in order to make a payment.
When will my payment be processed?
Payments are processed and submitted to your bank or financial institution on the “scheduled” date. Allow at least 2 business days for the payment to reflect on your account. Payments scheduled for a holiday will be processed the following business day. Please note that payments scheduled after the due date may be subject to late fees.
Can I establish automatic payments?
Yes. Click on “View Recurring Payments” in the e-bill section to add a recurring payment to eliminate the need to log in and manually schedule a payment each period. ***Note: Please do not use this option if already enrolled in Automatic Payment as duplicate payments may process to your account.
How do I know if I have scheduled a payment?
After scheduling a payment, you will receive a confirmation email that your payment has been scheduled. You may also click on the “View Payments” link to view payments and their status submitted through e-bill.
Can I schedule a payment after my due date?
Failure to pay by the due date will result in late fees.
Can I cancel a scheduled payment?
Yes. You are able to cancel a payment as long as it is in a “scheduled” status on the “view payments” screen.
What happens to scheduled payments if I cancel my enrolment?
Scheduled payments will still be processed. If you do not want this to happen, cancel any scheduled payments prior to cancelling your enrolment.
What happens if I’m late paying my hydro bill?
Your payment is due 16 days from the statement date on your bill. If the payment is late, a charge of 1.5% per month will be added to the balance. Enersource allows four extra days after the due date before applying late-payment charges.
You should know that:
- payments made online or by phone can take up to five days to process
- for payments sent by mail, the postmark on the envelope is considered the payment date
For complete details on our policies related to late payment and connection/ reconnection services, please see Section 18.104.22.168 of the Enersource Conditions of Service.